January Newsletter 2021

How to Report a Workers’ Compensation Claim

A workplace injury can turn your life upside-down without a moment’s notice. One minute you’re doing you’re job and the next you’re on your way to the hospital. Those injured in a workplace accident should report their workers’ compensation claim immediately. Unfortunately, many aren’t sure what steps they should take or what forms they need to fill out. Here’s what you need to know.

Step 1: Talk to Your Supervisor

Once you’ve been treated for immediate injuries, you need to report the incident to your supervisor, even if they witnessed your injury firsthand. You need to ask them for a form called DWC 1. This is a simple document asking where you were hurt and how you were hurt.

Filing your DWC 1 with the state will start your workers’ compensation claim. Keep in mind that you only have 30 days from the date of your injury to file a claim. If you wait too long to file your DWC 1, you may be unable to make a workers’ compensation claim.

Step 2: See a Doctor

After reporting the injury, you should have a doctor examine your injuries as soon as possible. A doctor can examine your injuries and their documentation will be vital in demonstrating the full extent of your injuries and providing treatment. Remember that Your workplace is required to cover your medical expenses for injuries sustained while on the job, but they may try to direct you to their preferred doctor.

Before your injury, you can submit a DWC 9783. This form allows you to designate your preferred doctor, ensuring that you’re able to get the care you’re accustomed to, even after a serious workplace accident.

Step 3: Contact a Workers’ Compensation Attorney

After filing your DWC 1 and having your injuries examined by a doctor, you should make an appointment with an attorney. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can fight to help you earn the full amount you are entitled to while also taking away the stresses of filing more paperwork and handling inquiries from your workplace. When you choose a workers’ compensation attorney to handle your case, you can rest easy knowing they’ll handle the case while you focus on your recover.

If you’d like to schedule a free consultation with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney from The Law Offices of Delitala, please don’t hesitate to send us an email or call (888) 676-0125 to get started.

Related Posts
  • July Newsletter 2021 Read More
  • May Newsletter 2021 Read More
  • April Newsletter 2021 Read More